YouCan Wellness' Natural Health Directory is a listing of natural health providers and alternative health practitioners as well as natural food providers who share our values and belief in natural health.
Natural Health Professionals
- Acupuncture Directory
- Chiropractic Directory
- Corporate Wellness Providers
- Fitness Trainer Directory
- Holistic Dentist Directory
- Holistic Veterinarian Directory
- Hypnosis Directory
- Integrative Medicine and Alternative Medicine
- Massage Therapy Directory
- Metabolic Typing Counselors
- Nutritional Therapy Directory
- Personal Trainer Directory
- Yoga Instructor Directory
- Zumba Fitness Instructor Directory
In order for YouCan Wellness to offer a snack or beverage for sale, it must NOT include any of the following…
To date, you have been led to believe that if you reduce the amount of fat and calories you ingest, you are doing your part to improve your diet. But that just isn’t the whole story. There is so much to know that we won’t attempt to cover it all here. But we will give you a crash course on the main ingredients we find so detrimental to your health that we have banned them from every product we offer for sale.
The use of high fructose corn syrup in soft drinks and a multitude of other foods has skyrocketed over the past 30 years. And with that, so has the obesity rate. While sugar in any form is not a good nutritional choice, HFCS is like a super-charged form of sugar and a much worse choice.
- Increases LDL (bad) cholesterol, which in turn increases the risk of heart disease.
- Converts to fat far more rapidly than any other sugar.
- #1 source of calories in the U.S.
- Actually increases hunger to make you eat more as a result of its affect on insulin levels in the body.
Hydrogenated oils, also known as trans fats have been proven in medical research studies to increase the risk of heart attack and cardiovascular disease, increase the likelihood of some cancers, and adversely affect the functioning of the immune system - this is the system that helps you fight off diseases of all sorts.
Unfortunately, there is a loophole in the FDA labeling requirements for trans fats. This means that unless you read the ingredients list of everything you eat, you could be eating trans fats unknowingly. YouCan Wellness does this research for you and only offers foods that do not contain hydrogenated oils.
Pink stuff, blue stuff, yellow stuff. What’s in this “stuff” anyway? These artificial sweeteners are chemical compounds. There is nothing natural about ANY of them. There are four widely used types of artificial sweeteners, all which carry the risk of developing health problems that can affect both your short and long term health. Symptoms commonly triggered and reported to the FDA amongst all of these sweeteners include headache, nausea, anxiety, and an increased risk of many CANCERS!
Aspartame = Nutrasweet®, Equal®, Spoonful®
Sucralose = Splenda®
Saccharin = Sweet ‘n Lo®
Acesulfame Potassium = Acesulfame K
Artificial preservatives, much like artificial sweeteners are chemical compounds. Symptoms and health effects reported to the FDA in connection with the ingestion of these compounds include:
- Aggravated symptoms of ADD and ADHD
- Increased sinus congestion and allergy symptoms
- Demonstrate the potential to become carcinogenic, increase hypertension, and provoke allergies.
- BHT and BHA, a commonly used preservative in the U.S. in snacks, canned goods and many other commonly purchased grocery items, has been shown to cause cancerous and non-cancerous tumors in mice. The National Institute of Health reported sufficient evidence to classify it as carcinogenic (a.k.a. “cancer-causing”). BHT is banned in Japan, Sweden, Austria and in baby food in the U.S.
- Sodium nitrite typically found in beef jerky, lunch meat, ham, and similar products has been found to break down into cancer-causing chemicals during digestion.
- Dr. Joseph A Mercola
- Food Inc. (movie website)
- Westin A. Price Foundation
- Rodale Institute
- Author Michael Pollan
- Organic Consumers Association
- Metabolic Typing Information
- The Visual M.D. (Deepak Chopra)
- Celiac.com - Gluten Intolerance info
- Slow Food USA
- Garden of Life by Dr. Jordan Rubin
- Chef Jamie Oliver
- Take Part Social Action Network
- Eatwild.com – Grass fed beef and pastured poultry directory
- Natural Health Information Centre
Books and Movies we recommend
In Defense of Food (book) – Michael Pollan
The Omnivore’s Dilemma (book) – Michael Pollan
The Metabolic Typing Diet (book) – William Wolcott and Trish Fahey
Food Inc. (Movie: Documentary) – Robert Kenner
Nourishing Traditions (book) – Sally Fallon
Take Control of Your Health (book) – Dr. Joseph Mercola
The Gluten-Free Bible (book) – Jax Peters Lowell